Job Title: Kennel Technician
Reports to: Shelter Manager
The primary function is to perform routine animal care and related duties at the animal shelter. The work is physically fast paced and requires the ability to multi-task. Duties include cleaning and maintaining kennel areas, receiving and assessing of animals brought in to the shelter, administer medications and vaccines, properly and humanely restrain animals for treatment; visually check every animal daily and be able to recognize signs of common illness, injury and/or behavior issues. Maintain accurate records for animals in the shelter, and perform humane animal euthanasia. Technicians are expected to carry out daily assignments, follow through on all issues, and use independent judgment and training to take appropriate actions to deal with standard recurring situations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the compassionate care of animals to include proper cleaning of kennels and facility, basic animal handling and socialization, evaluating animal's behaviors, proper and humane restraining of animals for treatment, monitoring health issues, computer data entry and customer service
- Performs shelter duties including receiving animals brought to the shelter, escort visitors to the lost and found kennel for reclaiming animals
- Observe shelter animals for any unusual symptom(s) that may be indicative of a medical or behavioral problem and report to the Shelter Manager
- Performs humane euthanasia, when required
- Responsible for laundry which includes washing, drying and folding towels and bedding
- Always promote a humane and caring attitude toward all animals
- Maintain the confidentiality of all information regarding the animals in our care
- Follow established procedures governing safe work practices; to perform duties in a manner which assures the safety of oneself and others
- Perform duties in a manner which encourages contributions and business for HSOY
- Always treat people and animals with respect, contribute to effective teamwork, promote staff cooperation, and foster public relations beneficial to HSoY
- Assist with adoptions when needed
- Other duties, as assigned
Necessary Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to work with animals of unknown disposition and those who may exhibit medical and other problems, as well as, aggressive tendencies using established procedures and protocol
- Basic Computer literacy with the ability to quickly learn software specific to animal shelters
- Handle animals safely, effectively and humanely
- Clean kennels efficiently and effectively
- Ability and initiative, working with minimal supervision
- Must have the ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment
- Organizational skills, multi-tasking ability and the capacity for working well under pressure
- Deal courteously with the public
- Must be able to work independently, as well as, in a team environment
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Animal husbandry experience, preferred
- Computer literate
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
- Must have a flexible schedule and be able and willing to work weekends and holidays
Physical Demands and Abilities:
- Frequently required to stand, sit, walk, run, jump, bend, twist, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear; taste or smell; use hands to handle, or feel objects, tools or controls.
- Frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Ability to work in varying temperatures and climate change
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to noxious odors, fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals. Exposure to animal diseases and in the presence of injured, vicious, or frightened animals and potentially volatile situations which can present risk of violence or injury. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to occasionally loud.
The above noted job description is not intended to describe, in detail, the multitude of tasks that may be assigned but rather to give the associate a general sense of the responsibilities and expectations of his/her position. As the nature of business demands change so, too, may the essential functions of this position.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Email Resume and Cover Letter to Jgray@hsoyuma.com